Lemon basil (Plectranthus amboinicus) of the Lamiaceae family; They are often known by other names such as hairy herbs, zucchini, thick leaf, dwarf herbs …
- Lemon basil is a herbaceous plant, perennial with an average height of about 20-50cm. The main body grows close to the ground to turn into wood, small soft branches, reaching up to green, the outside is covered with a thin white coat.
- Lemon basil leaves are green, symmetrically grown across the branches, succulent, thick and hard, when the leaves are broken, the outer edges of the leaves have rounded jagged edges, also on the leaf surface fine coat. When you put the leaves on your nose to smell you can smell the aroma and a slightly spicy
- Small basil flowers are purple, grow in flowers at the end of the branch and are divided into four sub-stamens. The result should be round and brown in color
- Whole lemon basil trees emit a scent similar to the scent of lemon, so it is often called lemon basil
Distribution and collection of lemon basil
Many records suggest that this plant originated from the countries of East Africa, South Africa, northern Kenya and Tanzania. Then they are migrated and widely cultivated in many countries in the tropics.
In Vietnam, lemon basil is said to be an indispensable spice vegetable, and can be found in almost any vegetable garden.
Normally, after being planted, basil leaves can be harvested for more than 1 month. People often use lemon basil leaves as spice vegetables, so only when using them to pick them, in many cases they can be used as medicine, they can be picked and dried for 2-3 days in the sun. After harvesting, you can add fertilizer to make the plant leaves faster
The medicinal ingredient in the basil plant
When taking samples of lemon basil to study the ingredients inside, scientists have found a lot of substances that are extremely beneficial for human health. More specifically it is:
The basil plant contains many vitamins A, B, C, and Omega 6, a small amount of ascorbic acid that enhances immunity, eyesight and macular degeneration.
The leaves contain a small amount of essential oils with 65.2% of the compounds phenolic and codeine. This essential oil has antiseptic properties that inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria to the respiratory system.
The effect of basil in treating diseases
According to Oriental medicine, lemon basil is a warm, spicy, aromatic plant, often used to treat phlegm, antiseptic, antiseptic, treat sore throat, flu.
- Curing cough caused by sore throats: Cut 6-8 leaves of lemon basil then wash and soak with a little dilute salt water for a period of 10 minutes, then use the leaves to chew and swallow, use 5-6 times / day you will see symptoms get better quickly.
- Nosebleeds: You use lemon basil leaves 20g; black star cypress leaves, licorice ground each of 15; Black star flower 10g. For all ingredients in the kettle with 500ml of water until half is dry, you can turn off the stove to cool, divided into 2 equal parts to drink immediately. Combined use of crushed lemon basil leaves stuffed into the nose
- Cure heat cough, coughing up blood: Fresh basil leaves and rock sugar 20g each. Wash the lemon basil leaves, then chop them into a bowl with alum sugar, put in a steam bath for 30 minutes, then take the water to drink. The part that you can use to suck, done once a day for 3-5 days.
- Treatment of colds, headaches, coughs: Use 50g of chopped fresh lemon basil leaves, put in a bowl and pour alcohol over the area and cover tightly. Pre-boil a pot of about 4 liters of water, then add the bowl of lemon basil soaked in wine and continue to cook. Let the sick person steam for about 10 minutes, then wipe the sweat dry and change clothes, proceed with the wind
- Cure hemorrhagic dysentery: Use 30g fresh lemon basil leaves, wash and chop, put in a bowl, beat with 2 egg yolks and steam them until cooked. Use to eat 2 times / day, eat continuously for about 3 days will help reduce bleeding dysentery.
- Asthma treatment: Basil and perilla 10g each. Rinse, put in a kettle with 500ml of water until half dry, divided into 2 parts to drink during the day. When treating asthma with basil, you need to abstain from fried foods, seafood, and cold water.
- Treatment of common phlegm cough: Use 10-15 vegetarian basil leaves, crush them with 3-4 blueberries, add a little sugar. Steamed in a water bath for about 20 minutes, decanted into drinking water, the part can be swallowed and swallowed.
Notes on the use of basil in treating diseases
- The stem and leaves of the basil plant appear many small white hairs that can be irritating to people with sensitive skin.
- It is also not recommended for women who are pregnant or breast-feeding to use basil leaves to treat illnesses because it can affect the health of both mother and baby.
- When you are using drugs to treat a number of other illnesses you need to talk to your doctor because the substances in thyme can cause interactions and reduce the effectiveness of the drug.
Basil is a very close plant to the people, hopefully after reading the article you can use this plant appropriately in treating diseases.