What is lemongrass essential oil?
Lemongrass essential oil (lemongrass essential oil) is extracted from the stem and leaves of the citronella tree by steam distillation. Lemongrass is a species of herb in the Poaceae family. This is a species of lemongrass native to Southeast Asia, India, China. The lemongrass that the Vietnamese often use to spice is it!
There are 2 points to remember about this essential oil:
- Lemongrass essential oil and Lemongrass essential oil are two completely different types. Lemongrass essential oil is extracted from the Java lemongrass (or Ceylon) while the lemongrass is extracted from the lemongrass species. In terms of effect, they are similar, but in Vietnam lemongrass essential oil is more popular than the other.
- You may hear or read somewhere that: Lemongrass essential oil is extracted from lemongrass and lemons. It is possible to mix lemongrass oil and lemon oil and use it. However, if you want to buy pure lemon lemongrass essential oil, choose the one on the package with the English name: Lemongrass essential oil
Effects of lemongrass essential oil
Here are the proven effects of this essential oil
1. Repel insects
Thanks to the composition containing many citral and geraniol (Two compounds capable of repelling insects), lemongrass lemon essential oil is known for its mosquito and ant repellent effect.
You can even use this essential oil to kill fleas on pets. The way is very simple: Put 5 drops of essential oil in a 500ml spray bottle and then spray it on your pet’s fur.
There are many studies that have demonstrated the insect repellant effects of lemongrass and lemongrass essential oil
In many countries including countries in Africa and South America often use lemongrass essential oil to make tea. It is known for its ability to detoxify the digestive tract, liver, kidneys, and pancreas. Achieving this effect is thanks to lemongrass essential oil, which has diuretic properties. It helps to eliminate harmful substances in the urine.
To get this benefit, you put 1-3 drops of lemongrass essential oil in the teapot before drinking each morning.
3. Protect stomach, support stomach ulcers treatment
For centuries, lemongrass has been known as an herb that can treat ailments such as: stomach pain, stomach ulcers. Today many studies have demonstrated this wonderful effect of this essential oil.
You can add lemongrass oil to tea, soups, and broths to treat stomach upset, nausea, diarrhea and even stomach ulcers!
4. Reduce stress, help to sleep
The scent of lemongrass is mild, easy to smell, and has sedative properties. This essential oil helps you feel comfortable, less stressful, less anxious, and improves sleep quality.
Besides, thanks to its sedative ability, when you massage or inhale lemongrass essential oil you will also feel a lot less headache. So if you can use this essential oil to massage when you feel stress, headache!
5. Strengthen the immune system, kill bacteria, fight inflammation
Many studies have proven that lemongrass essential oil in general or in particular lemongrass in particular has the ability to fight fungi and kill bacteria effectively. This effect is due to the high content of citral and limonene in lemongrass essential oil. These two compounds are capable of destroying and preventing the growth of fungi and bacteria.
Besides, the limonene contained in this essential oil also possesses excellent anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation is the cause of many different medical conditions, such as: Allergy, asthma, arthritis, hypertension, diabetes, Crohn’s disease, Parkinson’s disease.
Thanks to the above properties, lemongrass essential oil is effective in enhancing immunity, preventing and preventing many diseases!
6. Skin and hair care
Thanks to its antiseptic, anti-fungal and antioxidant properties, this essential oil is often used for skin care and especially hair.
- Its antiseptic and astringent properties make it an effective natural product for clearing pores, killing fungus and bacteria on skin, nails, and toenails.
- If you are having problems with hair loss, itchy scalp try to use lemon lemongrass essential oil by massaging on your hair and scalp a few drops of lemongrass essential oil with coconut oil for 2 minutes and then wash your hair. This will give you strong, clean, and odorless hair
7. Pain relief massage
Thanks to the ability to increase blood circulation, fight inflammation and prevent oxidation, lemongrass essential oil works to reduce muscle pain, back pain, sprains and cramps.
Try massaging the sore muscles with lemon lemongrass essential oil diluted with coconut oil in a 1: 1 ratio, you will feel the great benefits of this essential oil!